Transcript for A timeline of Brittney Griner's detention in Russia
[TECHNO MUSIC] - I first heard the news through Brittney, actually. She started texting me around 2:00 AM that morning, babe, babe, babe, wake up. They have me in this room. I don't know what's going on.
- I know that you want to speak with President Biden.
- Absolutely. I just keep hearing that he has the power. She's a political pawn. So if they're holding her because they want you to do something, then I want you to do it.
- I made an honest mistake. And I hope that in your ruling that it doesn't end my life here.
- Do you think she's being used as a political pawn here?
- I cannot ascribe Russian motives or intent here. All I can do is tell you there's a deal on the table. Let's make the deal. Let's get them home.
- You can hardly talk, honestly, so it's difficult time for her.
- My intention is to get her home. And we've had a number of discussions so far.
- You fly back home.
- To the US.
- So over the last nine months, you all have been so privy to one of the darkest moments of my life. And so today I'm just standing here overwhelmed with emotions. But the most important emotion that I have right now is just sincere gratitude for President Biden and his entire administration. And today, it's just a happy day for me and my family. So I'm going to smile right now.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.