Transcript for Why Dean Faiello says he fled after learning police discovered body of Maria Cruz
- My intention was to enjoy Costa Rica. You're surrounded by exotic birds and trees and flowers.
- Enjoy Costa Rica, but you're fleeing.
- Yeah. I escaped from the horror in which I was living.
- You weren't just fleeing the law and your crimes. You were escaping reality.
- Yeah, exactly.
- Dean, has been living pretty comfortably in Costa Rica for several months. But now there's this news of the discovery of Maria's body. And it's hitting the Costa Rican headlines. And Dean is really feeling the heat.
DEAN FAIELLO: One day I went to check my email. And for some reason, I clicked on the news. I remember seeing Maria's photo.
- The same one that was on those missing posters?
- Yeah. The same panic and fear that I felt when I realized that Maria had passed away, that returned. I just reacted and grabbed stuff and fled.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.